Wednesday, 9 March 2011

finally out of bed.......

but still in my jammies :)

Those who know i've been in a reasonably serious car accident. I won't go into the gory details but here is the jist of what happened:

my car lost traction at 70mph on the a38 (near Burton i think) and started to fishtail on some compacted sand (!!). I managed to correct the steering and drive in a straight line, but not on the road, going down the steep embankment.  The car bounced and rolled 6.5 times and landed on my right arm. My seatbelt saved my life as my chair was in the boot!
I tried to dig myself out as i landed on soil but panic set in when i realised i couldn't. Emergency services were surprised i was alive inside the wreck and tried to raise the car to free my arm but instead crushed it more. Eventually i was freed and air lifted to the Royal in Derby. I've never been in a helicopter before :) I was impressed by the car - the roll cage, air bags and how the windscreen stayed intact and i can imagine it must have been impressive to watch.
They suspected compartment syndrome as there was so much swelling so kept me in for observations and me being quite stubborn was determined to be home for my son's 5th birthday and i was.
No broken bones just a lot of cuts, lacerations & bruises. I hit my head hard and am slowly getting my hearing back to normal. I've got nerve damage in my jaw and cuts all over my head. I've got bruises everwhere and am just starting to walk about without being exhausted. My right arm is a mess, but healing. I was back in hospital yesterday for more scans and have been referred for exstensive physio to help me learn to use my hand and arm again. The car may have severed the nerves in my muscle tissue which means i may not get full function and feeling back....but only time will tell and maybe i'll get to play my guitar in 6 months, well thats my goal anyway :) 

Staying positive as i lost a lot of my fave scrappy mists, punches & papers. But they can be replaced eventually :) Who knows what my birthday might bring :)

scrapping service should resume shortly! :)  but more news i found out in hospital on sunday (27th) - i have been asked to part of the sarah hurley design team  WOW!!! 

You should see the other talent there....and yay to see some familiar faces too!!! But even better go check out the cool stuff you can purchase :) 


thanks to everyone for their kind wishes and sorryy i haven't been in touch - i've been kind of drugged and out of it for a while 
xoxoxox
Photobucket

10 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

oh my goodness.. what a story .. so sorry to hear of your accident.Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thank you for your kind comment and lovely to be working with you too - congrats on your DT
Lisa xx

ChelleStamps said...

Wow Nat, I didn't know until just today about your accident. Sounds like it was terrifying.
I'm so happy that you are okay!! I will pray for your recovery.

Jolanda said...

OOOOhhhhh Nat,i'm so happy to hear from you!!!
I was a bit worried and understand you couldn't answer..i just wanted to let you know i was (am) thinking of you!!Take care sweetie!!!Take time and i'm sure you will be alright...a fighter like you!!!!
So happy to know you're getting better!!
Love,Jolanda

jaine drake said...

What the.....! Nath that's so frightening. I know how you feel as I too rolled our car down a hill crushing it and landing upside down (Ford is great) with 2 girlies in the back. All got out without much damage but it was a very frightening experience which is still with me know!! So...I love your positive attitude. I hope your crafing will resume soon and I'm proud to be part of the DT with you. Take careXX

Cheryl said...

duuuuuudette... that's so much more of a deal than it sounded before! so glad you're OK - seriously frightening - and staying brave and positive! lost craft supplies are nothing in comparison to life and health. focus on that guitar, get back to normal quickly x best wishes x

Michelle Hernandez said...

Oh my goodness Natalie that sounds so incredibly serious and scary. So glad you are feeling better- I hope the jaw and arm injuries won't have any lasting after effects. Congrats on the DT position- I'm sure that helped you cheer up and leave that hospital faster.

Kelly Massman said...

Oh, gosh, I don't think I knew that you were in an accident... Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

salme said...

Oh my goodness, Natalie! I thank God that you are safe and sound, that gave me goosebumps! Rest some more and stay positive!

Nic said...

I've just dropped in to catch up with all your news and am so sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds absolutely terrifying and you are one brave girlie! I am really glad you came out of it relatively safe and sound and admire your positivity. Take lots of care and I hope you will soon be well on the road to full recovery.
with lots of well wishes,
Nic xx

mojodawn said...

Holy crap Girl! That's awful! So glad you are okay and were home for your son! :)

Counter

McLaffins